You don’t have to believe me, but I’m being honest. I was once picked up in a bar with the line, “AY! Yo female, lemme get that backslash!” At first I was taken aback by this pickup line. What in God’s name did this boy mean, my “backslash”? I thought it was something vile, dirty, and disgusting. I immediately retorted, “Uhh, no?” I’m really good at being passive aggressive towards potential suitors.
I later found out that “Lemme get that backslash” is actually referring to my MySpace username. That’s right – myspace.com / = backslash. I should have told him that it is actually a forwardslash, but I might have been slapped. And domestic abuse is no way to pick up a lady. Regardless, I did not go home with the gentleman in question that evening.
Well, after mulling on that particular event for a while, it prompted me to think about this idea of using “social networking” terms to pickup members of the opposite sex… in person. And thus, I held a contest. The contest was to see WHO could come up with the BEST social networking term pickup line pun. And I got some hilarious submissions.
Here are some of the best:
- Aaron K.: Wanna go to my place and #eachother? You do? Tweeeeet.
- Jonathan B.: Baby, add me to your friend’s list, and we can poke each other all the time!!!
- Sylvia T.: I can blog all night long, and this entry is definitely not tweet-length.
- Luke D.: Hey baby, how ’bout we ditch this party and head back to myspace?
- Matthew N.: It’s Friday and my only recommendation is that you follow me
- Rare Bird S.: I’ll invite you to an event, and I want to poke you’ tube. I like to comment when you download on my boobs.
- John B. Jr.: Hey baby. Wanna get Linked in Myspace or yours?
And the winner is…
- Jim W. (@digitaldrivel): I wanna put my Facebook in your Yahoo and Digg your Twitter until you Yelp!
Congratulations, Jim. You’ve won a grab bag of awesome comedy stuff from the Dirty South. That’s right. We’re dirty and we’re in the south. Rawwr.
So remember boys (and girls), next time you’re in a bar, don’t use that “did it hurt when you fell from heaven?” crap. Be creative. Use your imagination. Get to poking.